Wednesday, February 11, 2009

More Homemade Cleaning Products & A Review of the Others



I am digging my homemade cleaners! I am thrilled with all of them except one so far and that is a far better average than I can claim with the expensive, chemical laden, store bought versions.

Today I mixed up:

Laundry Soap
1/2 cup pure soap flakes (I used a bar of Ivory Soap and only needed a third or so of the bar)
1/2 cup baking soda
1/4 cup washing soda
1/4 cup borax
1 clean 16oz container w/lid (I used a recycled kefir bottle, it is perfect!)

Grate the soap & mix with other ingredients in a big bowl, then transfer to container. Use about 1/2 cup per load.

This is fantastic! I used it along with white vinegar for softener on the energy saver setting on my washer and my clothes came out great. it even washed pee-pee sheets & quilt nice and clean. This is a keeper. Next time I will make a bigger batch though, I am almost out after 3 loads.

Automatic Dishwasher Detergent
Equal parts borax & washing soda.

TERRIBLE!

All the glassware was cloudy, ick. I will keep looking for a better recipe, probably a liquid.

Microwave Oven Cleaner
1 1/2 cups water
3 tbl baking soda
mix in a microwave safe bowl and stick it in the mic for 3-5 minutes (I did 4 min)
carefully remove bowl, use hotpads, it will be HOT! Wipe down with a damp cloth.

Worked like a charm! I really had my doubts, but I didn't even really have to scrub very hard and my mic is shining,

See!



And I used the Fresh Smelling Multipurpose Cleaner I made last week to clean the outside and to my great surprise the stainless is sparkling, woo-hoo! I really disliked my stainless appliances because they were so hard to keep clean without have to use something special...which hardly ever happens! Now I can just spray away with my new favorite Multipurpose cleaner and clean everything in my path, YAY!



I also must comment on my new love affair with washing soda.

Am I the only one that didn't know about this stuff?? I mixed it with water & white vinegar to mop the floor and it made such a difference in how easily the stuck on schmeg spots came up. I can't wait to see what else I can do with this! Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jen!

    Check out the actual link for the Note I just put up on FB. It'll explain the cloudiness issue on the DW detergent. Apparently, one needs to put vinegar in the rinse aid thingy. :) Good thing I read that! LOL... or i'd have cloudy dishes too! :) This is too much fun!

    ReplyDelete